- Apartment Acquisition Loans
- Apartment Construction Loans
- Apartment Refinancing Loans
- Apartment Rehab Loans
- Apartment Construction Loans FHA 221d4
- FHA 223f Apartment Loans
- FHA 223a7 Streamlined Refinance
- Fannie Mae DUS Multifamily Loans
- Fannie Mae Fixed Rate Apartment Loans
- Fannie Mae Structured Adjustable Rate Apartment Loans
- Fannie Mae Adjustable Rate Apartment Loans
- Fannie Mae Small Multifamily Loans
- Freddie Mac Fixed Rate Apartment Loans
- Freddie Mac Adjustable Rate Apartment Loans
- Freddie Mac Float To Fixed Multifamily Loans
Fannie Mae Fixed Rate Apartment Loans
Fixed Rate Multifamily Loans With Fannie Mae Guaranty
FNMA DUS Loans were created in 1989 to provide Fannie Mae multifamily loans which meet the needs of developers and owners of multifamily projects seeking short- and long-term, fixed-rate, non-recourse financing. Fannie Mae instituted an underwriting and processing license arrangement with privately-held mortgage brokers who would take “top end” risk on mortgage loans for the opportunity to underwrite and close loans without the pre-permission of Fannie Mae. This allowed Fannie Mae to build a network of strong professional bankers who would originate, process, underwrite, commit, and close mortgage loans under a Fannie Mae guarantee of principal and interest payments to the mortgage investment market.
While Fannie Mae is a GSE (Government Sponsored Enterprise) and not part of the federal government; it’s mortgage securities were (and continue to be) deemed virtually a “Full Faith and Credit” of the federal government. Thus, a borrower receives an interest rate only slightly higher than those provided under FHA. Additionally, one of the key features of the all Fannie Mae DUS Programs is that the borrower’s contact is with the DUS mortgage broker and not with a government agency. Underwriting and processing times tend to be relatively fast and unless a special waiver is needed for a particular element of a transaction, very straightforward.
Fannie Mae Fixed Rate Apartment Loans Terms
Existing income-producing multifamily properties with at least three stable months of 90% occupancy or better. Properties can be newly constructed or recently rehabilitated.
Amortization and Loan Terms
25 or 30 years depending on property’s age with balloon terms of 5,7,10, 15, 18 years or full term loans of 20, 25, or 30 years
Minimum Loan Size
Minimum programmatic loan size is $1,000,000 but preferred minimum is $3,000,000
None recourse for monetary default with typical carve-outs
For-profit individuals and entities and not-for-profit single asset entities
All loans are subject to a prepayment penalty calculated using either a yield maintenance or defeasance formula for all but the last six months of the term of the loan. These terms can be modified by adjusting the interest rate.
Maximum Loan Refinancing
The Lesser of:
- The amount supported by using a 1.25 to 1.00 debt service ratio.
- 80.0% of appraised value
There are no statutory limits to loan amounts
Market interest rates change daily. Call for quote.
All loans are assumable and transferable at anytime for a 1.00% fee
Required for property taxes, insurance, and replacement reserves as calculated by the underwriter
125% to 150% of the estimated cost of repairs per the physical needs report. Funds released upon completion.
No third party subordinate financing, however Fannie Mae Supplemental Loans are allowed beginning 12 months after the initial first mortgage loan closing.
Preliminary Submission Package
- Location map and property description and photos (or website info)
- Unit mix showing type, number, size, and current rent of all units
- Description of commercial space if any
- Last three months rent rolls along with year-to-date financial statements
- Last full 36 month operating statements or pro-forma if recently completed construction
- Business resume and financial statement of principals and entity
- Terms of existing debt if any